Monday 28 February 2011

Amercianizing Blackadder? What in the world?


As you probably know - the US seem to be doing a bit of "Americanising" British shows like they recent did with Top Gear and a few others as well as of course Pop Idol. But I think there are just some shows that should be left as they are like Blackadder for example.

I read that there's been some talk of a Blackadder 5 series set in New York, and they have Steve Martin in talks for the Blackadder role,   now pardon me if I seem a bit harsh here but old Steve isn't in the least bit fit to fill the shoes of such a role - I respect the guy as much as any other fan of his does and I admit he was pretty funny back in the 80's but I just CANNOT see him play Blackadder at all. 


I mean you know about how much of a flop the Pink Panther remakes were, this is just going too far. Rowan Atkinson is and always will be the ONLY Edmund Blackadder- as that one of his most career defining roles. And Rob Schneider as Baldrick? There's no way on god's green earth that could ever work. Tony Robinson is the ONLY Baldrick (apart from Phillip Fox in the unaired pilot episode).

As I am a huge fan of the series and I like it the way it is - it's perfection, and I don't want it to be altered in anyway especially not remade, or Americanized.

It would be an absolute disgrace if these turn out to be true.    I just can't see any of this happening.   I mean I've done quite a few fanscripts myself including one set in the days of Vlad The Impaler with Blackadder as a vampire,  and even a Blackadder-style retelling of the Oddysey.


I just hope that if this ever gets made that it will all turn out to be a nightmare the real Blackadder is having caused by Baldrick's cooking.      Or it could be an elaborate prank his friends put together.   Whatever happens,    I just hope it doesn't actually come into fruitation.

I like Blackadder as it is and I don't want it to be altered in anyway,  why mess with perfection that's what I always say.


No comments:

Post a Comment