Sunday 17 January 2010

Fat jokes, fat suits and fat comedians.

I have nothing but the atmost respect for the larger, heftier men and women of the entertainment industry.

I am also against fat jokes of any kind.

Even though in my latest story I do kind of have to dig up John Candy's grave and I do kind of make fun of his weight and refer to him as tubsy and a few other nicknames..

I mean no harm to the memory of this late great comedian.

And I respect him like he was a father figure of my own, i would never do anything to make a mockery out of him or any other comedian/actor/actress who is of that size range.

There are not many hefty comics/actors/actress around these days except for Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, James Gandolifni, Jorge Garcia of Lost fame (he looks a lot like John Belushi to boot) Miriam Margoyles, Peter Kay, Kenan Thompson (of Kenan and Kel fame), Jason Alexander, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Jack Black.
Now days if there's a hefty person in a movie it's probably just a thin actor/actress in a fatsuit like Martin Lawrence in Big Momma's House, John Travolta in Hairspray, and Eddie Murphy in the Nutty Professor - as well as Gweneth Paltrow in Shallow Hal and Alison Hannigan in Date Movie. Other examples include Mike Myers as Fat Bastard in Austin Powers 2 and 3 and Tom Cruise as Les Grosman in Tropic Thunder.

Some actors or actresssess have to gain weight for a role like Renee Zwelleger in Briget Jone's Diary.

I recently read that Jim Carrey had gained some weight recently to play the part of Curly in the 3 Stooges Movie. Now this one can often get confusing as some sources state that Jim pulled out of the project while some others say he's going to do it.

Now I myself have only tried the fatsuit approach once and that was when I dressed up as JC for halloween in 2007 - i also wore a John Candy mask. I have three different fatsuits too - one is a John Belushi one with a college sweater on it, one is the Chumsley suit, and the other is the John Candy one. I don't have a special fx makeup artist like Rick Baker to help with stuff like this but I have someone who is pretty darn good at it, her name is Heather and she used to do costumes for me - her husband Andrew is a special fx makeup artist as well.

I personally think that the more heftier folk out there deserve more respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment