Monday 19 July 2010

Batman movies

Today's topic is all about Batman.

I myself am a huge Batman fan, I love the old Adam West batman series, I also the comics and the animated Batman tv series including Batman: TAS, Batman Beyond, and The Batman.




When it comes to the Batman movies I love the Tim Burton versions best because of how cleverly written they are and how perfect the casting was. I know there was a lot of controversy about the whole Michael Keaton as Batman thing because at time he was known for comedies like Beetlejuice and Mr Mom, but I think he pulled off the role beautiful.



As for the villains of those movies I can honestly say that of all the Joker incarnations that Jack Nicholson is my absolute favourite - not only because I happen to be a fan of Jack's but also because he seemed to fit the role. While Heath Ledger's dark knight Joker is good and dark and yes - scary, Jack's joker is sly, a tad crazy and a rather fun guy. I read that David Bowie, James Woods and William Dafoe were offered that role as well.



And yes, Danny Devito's Penguin in Batman Returns was brilliant and perfectly gruesome. And Michelle Pffiffer made a lovely Catwoman (screw Halle Berry). There were quite a lot of actress in competition for the role of Catwoman including Raquel Welch, Cher, Bridget Fonda, Susan Sarandon, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Lena Olin and Ellen Barkin. Also Annette Benning was considered at one point but left. And Sean Young wanted to play the part and visited the head production office dressed in her own homemade Catwoman costume, demanding that she get an audition. I read that Tim Burton was considering Marlon Brando for the role of the Penguin at one point as well as Bob Hoskins, Dustin Hoffman, Christoper Lloyd, and even John Candy for the role before it went to Danny. Now I like most of these choices that Burton was considering well except for John Candy because even though I am a fan of his - I just could not see JC playing a villain of any kind.



There was some sort of parental backlash regarding Batman Returns as some thought that it was too dark and had sexual references and other things that were unsuitable for kids - especially those regarding the Penguin. This caused Mcdonalds to stop their Batman Returns happy meal promotion (although ironically in 2008 there was a Dark Knight burger king promotion).





I like the Joel Schumacher Batman films too, Batman Forever is severely underrated. By the way Burton produced that one for those who didn't know. Robin Williams was originally in mind to play the Riddler but eventually Jim Carrey was cast in the role instead, which of course wasn't a bad choice in itself. As for the role of Batman, before Val Kilmer was cast - Daniel Day-Lewis, Ralph Fiennes, William Baldwin and Johnny Depp were considered for the part. Michael Keaton left because he did not like the direction it was going. And here's another interesting fact for those Batfans out there - Bruce Campbell auditioned for the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman at one point. Now can you imagine what it would have been like if Bruce Campbell had gotten the role of Batman? Billie Dee Williams was interested in playing Two-Face (he was Harvey Dent in the Tim Burton film Batman) and he was considering it but Tommy Lee Jones got the part - which also wasn't a bad choice but I personally would have gone with Mel Gibson.



For the animated series I like Batman: TAS and The Batman as well as Batman Beyond.



I liked Batman and Robin even though it was a tad campy at times, i'm sure i'm not the only one who actually liked it.



As for the Nolan versions they're good and very cleverly done but i still like the Tim Burton versions, Heath did a brilliant Joker but in overall I prefer Jack Nicholson's Joker in the 1989 Batman film more. I also think that if they do another Batman film they should have either Killer Moth, Manbat or Killer Croc as the villain - or maybe Clayface. I can deffinately see Jeff Goldblum as Kirk Langstrom/Manbat.



My favourite Batman villains are The Penguin, Joker, Riddler, Manbat, Mr Freeze, and Catwoman even though i am not sure if she's really a villain or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment