Wednesday 18 March 2009

Dreams Of Fox Kid

Back in the 90's' there used to be this great kids channel for kids, it was called Fox Kids, it was home to many shows such as Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Bobby's World, Masked Rider and Casper. I watched some of their shows on a regular basis, especially Masked Rider, Mystic Knights, Beetleborgs and Power Rangers as well as X-Men and Spiderman. Goosebumps used to creep the hell out of me almost as much as the books did. But my all time favourite show on Fox Kids was Big Bad Beetleborgs by Saban Entertainment, who also made Power Rangers. It was about these three kids who were dared to go into a haunted mansion, they freed this wacky blue skinned ghost named Flabber (played by Billy Forester) who gave them special superhero powers. It was my absolute favourite superhero show, and Flabber was simply the most entertaining character on there. He was this quirky ghost who looked like a cross between Elvis and my favourite comedian Jay Leno. Much like Amiright's TSB, I happen to be a superhero fanatic. I still remember everything all that was great about Fox Kids. I miss it so much. Kids tv was certainly much better back in the 90's- especially seeing as Disney Channel aired shows that were actually good like Gargoyles and Quack Pack and not hackeneyed teen sitcoms like Hannah Montanah, That's So Raven and Suite Life Of Zack and Cody- and it most certainly had better movies on then they do now (I mean all Disney Channel has to offer in the movie department is the overated High School Musical franchise, and the tepid Camp Rock- which by the way is an obviously blantant poor-man's ripoff of the Jack Black movie School Of Rock). Fox Kids was the greatest channel on Earth. Unfortunately we only have Jetix/4Kids and all they show on it now are anime shows like Megaman and SonicX. I have frequently had dreams in which Fox Kids is on the channels on my tv, unfortunately those dreams will never come true. I really wish Beetleborgs would be released on dvd already.

2 comments:

  1. Doc, I loved Fox Kids too. Its last good show in my opinion was the reruns of "Magic School Bus", but they started showing that anime garbage shortly thereafter. I hated admitting to my enemies in high school that I watched Digimon, Beetleborgs, Bobby's World, Power Rangers and M.S.B. Before you were banned from AmIRight (which I now think was unjust), you wrote better parodies than TSB, or so I thought.
    By the way, is Billy Forester, who played Flabber in Beetleborgs any relation to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People ask me that question all the time. No,i'm not related to Billy Forester although I wish I was- he already has a daughter. Check out his facebook page.

    ReplyDelete