Sunday 24 May 2009

Dan McCloud: Makeup Artist Extraordinare





My brother and I know quite a few talented people in the buisness who are good with makeup. One is our idol the great Rick Baker, he did the makeup for American Werewolf In London and our favourite Jim Carrey film How The Grinch Stole Christmas (most of the anthromorphic grinch characters in our tv shows are kind of modelled on Jim Carrey's grinch), Bill Corso who did Jim Carrey's Count Olaf in makeup in Lemony Snicket (our 2nd favourite Jim Carrey movie next to the Grinch) . We also idolised the late great Stan Winston who did the makeup and special fx for Terminator, Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns. One of our favourite shows growing up was Manimal- which was awesome. He also did the makeup for Ghosts- a very clever Michael Jackson short film. It was really cool when Michael turned into that demon. The makeup for that was pretty cool.








Another person we know very well who is in the makeup buisness is Heather, Heather is an old helper from a school we used to go. She was very good at all sorts of artsy stuff, including makeup. She would often come to our house after school and do our makeup. We have an album somewhere of us in all sorts of different makeup.








My brother's best friend is a very talented makeup artist his name is Dan McCloud. He did my Jay Leno makeup for our production of Leno. It took 2 and a half hours. But it was a lot easier to deal with than the makeup process Jim Carrey had to go through for the Grinch. Although the contact lenses did hurt a little, and the fake chin kept making me sweaty, and the wig was itchy. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. I got to play more than one character too, not only did I play Jay but I also played Iron Jay, Evil Jay, Billy Tuttle, Mr Brain and Beyondo as well. I was completely unreconisable in the Jay Leno makeup, I looked so much like the real Jay.








The anthromorphic grinch characters in the animated series Robin Hood are modelled after Jim Carrey's grinch but they drawn in a Disney style- because it pays homage to Disney's film version of Robin Hood. Now a lot of people have noticed that Windsor (voiced by Tyrone The Terrible) is a lot similar to Scar from The Lion King. That's because the guy who did the animation for this character is Andreas Deja (the guy who did the animation of such memorable characters as Gaston, Scar, King Triton, Jafar, Hercules and Lilo). Windsor is one of the main antagonists- he serves as the evil counterpart to the main character. Whenever our friend Tyrone The Terrible voices a bad guy character in an animation project of ours, we get Andreas Deja to be the animator of that character. Tyrone The Terrible is known for his really evil sounding voice- he's great at impressions- the ones he does best are of David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Jeremy Irons, Tim Curry, Vincent Price and Simon Cowell (as demonstrated in our animated fantasy film Fantastic Portal). In the Robin Grinch movie- he actually does do a Jeremy Irons impersonation as the voice of Windsor.




For those who are interested, this is what I looked like in the Jay Leno makeup:










This is me as Iron Jay. I based half of my portrayal of this character on Gaston from Beauty And The Beast.



This one here is me becoming a Wereleno. A long while ago I used to be an evil wereleno. Here I am in mid transformation into one. The cause of this was an allergic reaction to the makeup I wore when I played Jay in the production of Leno.






This is a photo of me as the afforementioned wereleno. The transformations were often nightmarish and painful but I somehow managed to live through them. Sam Leno/Chinstar is also a wereleno but his transformations are a LOT more pleasant then mine ever were. I'm amazed at how he was able to deal with all that. I wasn't able to handle a second of it. Well Chinstar IS a professional superhero after all. He's had much worse things happen. What I don't get though is that when I turned into a wereleno I became a bad guy one instead of a good guy like Chinstar is. I mean I had to fight him when I was in wereleno form because even though we are close friends- the problem was that I was an evil wereleno at the time and he is a heroic one so we were bitter enemies when we were in this state. So we had to fight eachother to the death. I got better though. Chinstar didn't lose his powers- he still has them but he rarely uses them.

No comments:

Post a Comment