Sunday 4 October 2009

Stage and screen

Aside from doing animation and films, me and my brother have done quite a lot of work in theatre. I've been in a number of company productions such as Oliver, Cats, Phantom Of The Opera, Sweeney Todd and Little Shop Of Horrors. Namely when it comes to theatre I get typecast playing the role of the villain- the only non villain roles i've played are Jay Leno in Leno (although I do also play some of his old tonight show characters mainly Beyondo, Iron Jay and Billy Tuttle, so I do get to do Evil Jay as well), Rum Tum Tugger in Cats and Erik in the Phantom Of The Opera. My most notable performances include my performance as Rooster in the company production of Annie (a role which was played by Tim Curry in the 1980's film version), my performance of Fagin in Oliver (a role that's being played by Rowan Atkinson in the new west end version), Dr Orin in Little Shop Of Horrors (a role that was played by Steve Martin in the film and Stefan Karl Stefannson of Lazytown fame in one of the stage version) and Dracula in La Vampiro. But according to my friends, my most memorable performance was as Gaston in last year's production of Beauty And The Beast opposite my brother who played the role of the beast (my portrayal was a mixture of Hugh Jackman's version and Donny Osmond's version with a bit of Elvis Presley thrown in). A lot of people said I did good in that role. I also played one of Joseph's evil jealous brothers in a company production of Joseph And The Technicolour Dreamcoat. Rum Tum Tugger is one of the only non bad guys i've ever played, I originally auditioned for the role of Macavity the mystery cat, I passed the audition but they said I wasn't evil enough so they gave the role to my evil counterpart Dr Madness- I got the part of Rum Tum Tugger instead. My portrayal of Dracula in La Vampiro was based on Chris Sarandon's character from the 1985 vampire flick Fright Night and influenced by David Bowie's role of the Goblin King from Labyrinth. La Vampiro was a rock opera based on classic bits of vampire mythology. My brother played the role of the vampire hunter. This year our company production is Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I was considered to play the role of the mad Dr Frankenfurter (the role that made Tim Curry famous), the part has been given to our good friend Tyrone The Terrible (he's a very good actor btw), I play Dr Everett Scott, and my brother plays Meatloaf's character Eddie.

No comments:

Post a Comment